This Bacon and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup is slap your mama good!
Bacon and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 can (28-ounce) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (about 3 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (or more to taste)
In a heavy soup pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set aside. Discard all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat.
Add the olive oil to the pot and heat over medium heat. Next, add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Lastly, add the garlic and continue cooking just until fragrant.
Add the diced tomatoes (pureed), chicken broth, and thyme. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Finally, add seasoning and continue simmering, occasionally stirring, for 20 minutes.
Lastly, add crumbled bacon and heavy cream.
**You can use milk instead of heavy cream or whipping cream. You can also substitute the bacon for REAL bacon bits. You can add a handful or two of freshly chopped spinach or kale to add more nutrition.**